Description
The Church of San Giorgio, current parish church, probably derives from the transformation of one of the numerous chapels built in the countryside by the faithful, between the 4th and 6th centuries, to honour St. George.
In the 13th century, the church was dependent on the abbey of Sassovivo di Foligno and, at the time, it took the shape of a classic rural parish church. Inside it had a single nave without apse, covered by a groin vault held up by square pilasters. It was greatly developed in the 15th and 16th centuries during the presence of the Celestine monks (which had their convent in S. Giorgio). Perhaps in 1730, on the occasion of another earthquake, a large buttress was laid against the façade and the portal of the façade, of the gable kind with an oculus at the centre, was closed.
From the lateral portal access to the Church is by two doors, one for men and the other for women. The floor of the single-nave interior is in stone slabs and the walls are embellished with over 52 frescoed paintings, including two triptychs of great interest (1530) on the right wall; Madonna on the Throne with Child between Saints Lucy and Bastian and the Madonna standing with unweaned Child between St. Rocco and St. Sebastian.